sobota, 25 czerwca 2016

Game of Thrones


I’m always a step back behind the rest of the world, if it comes to film or book novelties. I suppose I unconsciously rebel against commercial publications. I just try to avoid being a dupe who lines fat cats’ pockets. So, I roll my eyes each time I see enthusiastic hysteria of people waiting impatiently for the premiere of hit series. I give pitiful look at fans fighting like samurai to get the last paperback available in a book shop. Those hopeless people seem to commit moral hara-kiri after humiliating defeat and come back home with no trophy. When the initial fever goes down, I reach out for the cultural ‘jewel’ and make a discovery of the year! I guess you will frown upon me when you read my latest discovery thinking: ‘What made you decide to write about this oldie?’ I don’t mind. I’ll take all criticism on the chin!

Zawsze jestem o krok do tyłu od reszty świata, jeśli chodzi o nowości książkowo-filmowe. Nieświadomie chyba bojkotuję komercyjne produkcje. Nie chcę być kolejnym jeleniem bezmyślnie nabijającym komuś kabzę. Na widok entuzjastycznej histerii tłumu na widok premierowego odcinka kultowego serialu przewracam oczami. Spoglądam z politowaniem na fanów, którzy walczą zacięcie jak samuraje, by dorwać się do ostatniego egzemplarza książki. A w przypadku klęski – popełnić moralne harakiri i wrócić do domu z niczym. Gdy emocje całego świata zdążą już opaść, ja dokonuję odkrycia roku i dołączam się do grona wielbicieli. I pewnie wielu spojrzy na moje ostatnie„odkrycie” i pomyśli, że chyba się urwałam z choinki pisząc o takim starociu, ale co tam. Przyjmuję na klatę wszelką krytykę.


Game of Thrones
Posters advertising the newest series were put in every single train in the Bucharest metro. The characters were glaring at me as if I were their worst enemy. To make things worse (or better), Kostas told me that it was hard to understand why a series where the main characters are being killed one by one had become so popular. His review appealed to my imagination. I bought the first novel as soon as I got back home. The book impressed me immediately. Especially its size. It took me a month to get through the volume. And it’s all because of George R.R. Martin who doesn’t pamper his readers. He throws the miserable looser in at the deep end and teaches him a lesson. Enigmatic sentences and symbols, intricate relationships of the characters and interspersing threads of the plot combined with frequent flashbacks compel readers to be alert. I have been patiently making notes and drawing the family trees. Of course, some mischievous characters, who are either underinformed or have sniffed a business, lead me by nose and spread false information. The adventures and mishaps of the Starks, Lannisters and Targaryens is one thing, but what I enjoy most about the book is picking at the plot threads. I saw the television series as well. Costumes, scenery and the mood really go with my expectations (they’re even better sometimes) but there’s something missing…

Gra o Tron
W bukareszteńskim metrze wszystkie pociągli rozklejone były plakatami najnowszej części serialu. Postacie złowieszczo spoglądały na mnie, jak na najgorszego wroga. Do tego Kostas stwierdził, że dziwny jest sukces serialu, w którym wszyscy główni bohaterowie giną jeden po drugim. Taka recenzja przemówiła do mojej wyobraźni. Gdy tylko wróciłam do domu, kupiłam pierwszą część książki. Tomiszcze potężne. Czytałam miesiąc. A to dzięki George’owin R.R. Martinowi, który nie pieści się z czytelnikiem. Bezceremonialnie wrzuca straceńca na głęboką wodę i uczy pływać po meandrach fabuły. Ja jakoś ocalałam. Enigmatyczne treści i symbole, zawiłe powiązania bohaterów i nieustannie przeplatające się wątki i retrospekcje zmuszają do myślenia. Ja z kartką i długopisem cierpliwie rozrysowywałam zagmatwane losy rodu Starków, Lannisterów i Targaryenów. Czasem daję się wodzić za nos przez niefrasobliwego bohatera, który celowo podrzuca mi fałszywe informacje, bo albo sam jest niedoinformowany albo zwietrzył interes… Perypetie klanów to jedno, ale samo „dłubanie” w powieści jest ciekawą przygodą. Serial też widziałam. Kostiumy, sceneria i sam klimat filmu rzeczywiście pasują do moich wyobrażeń, ale szklany ekran to nie to samo…




Brak komentarzy :

Prześlij komentarz